Captain Corruption\'s Commentary

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Xenophobia in the in-box

Can't believe I'm coming out of my blissfull father of a baby girl existence because of the issue du-jour, , but I got one of those obnoxious chain e-mails in my box and felt the need to respond. The e-mail rant will be in italics, with my response normal font.


demagogue
n : an orator who appeals to the passions and prejudices of his audience [syn: demagog, rabble-rouser]

Hey, if you want to have a rational discussion regarding our open unguarded borders and the problems they cause I'm all for it. If you want to make the point, RATIONALLY, that there are plenty of entering our country legally, and it is unfair to them that illegal immigrants cut the line, fine. I'll probably do lots of agreeing.

But if all you (You being whoever the original author of this document is, and those that will disperse it) can do is play racist demagogue, you'll find I can play that silly game too.


AMEN AND AMEN


Try these and see how long you stay out of jail or even alive!

Try driving around as a Gringo in Mexico with no liability insurance..... and have an accident....


Granted you'll lose your car. Don't be so stupid as to take your own car somewhere with no bill of rights, or be prepared to pay the price.

Enter MEXICO illegally. Never mind immigration quotas, visas, international law, or any of that nonsense.

How? How can I enter illegally? I've crossed that border multiple times. They want me in. They want my money. They don't look twice at you entering. The only trouble I'd have is if I tried to cross BACK without my driver's license. Then I'd be stuck.

Once there, demand that the local government provide free medical care for you and your entire family.

Who's demanding that? Does the author of this document want to provide a link to the voices of these demands?

Yes, through the emergency medical treatment and labor act of 1985 hospitals are legally bound to provide emergency services regardless of ability to pay and citizenship. But hey, as long as we're being demagogues here, I'm not gonna complain about paying for emergency medical services for anybody when I'm also forced to pay room and board for anybody, regardless of citizenship status, that's too freakin lazy to get off their butts and get a job.

Ya want to see the abuse of social services ceased, then cease providing social services to all abusers.

Demand bilingual nurses and doctors.

Who makes these DEMANDS? Go to Mexico, at least the tourist towns and big cities, and they will have folks that speak English at any establishment see the above reference to wanting our money. They want you as a customer, thus they'll speak your language.

Demand free bilingual local government forms, bulletins, etc.

Again, who's making these DEMANDS? Are there lots of folks who don't speak English? Yes. Does that present a communication problem? Yes. Are you a more marketable employee if you're bilingual? Yes. That said, I haven't heard anyone DEMAND any of the above.

Procreate abundantly.

What, you mean like Mormons, or Catholics, or Pentecostals, or folks on fertility pills, or... Yeah, no demagoguery or implied racism in that procreate abundantly line. I know, how bout a law licensing parenthood and limiting the number of births. I've always wanted to live in communist China.

Deflect any criticism of this allegedly irresponsible reproductive behavior with, "It's a cultural American thing. You wouldn't understand, pal."

See above comments regarding racism and demagoguery and our newfound relationship with China.

Keep your American identity strong. Fly Old Glory from your rooftop, or proudly display it in your front window or on your car bumper.

Hmmm like perhaps a holiday celebrating Green Beer drunkenness? Or annual Oktoberfests? Italian Fests, Greek Fests etc etc. Celtic knot tattoo's anyone? Kiss me I'm Irish bumper stickers? Or perhaps the proud flying of flags for the failed and defeated confederacy? We better outlaw them all!

Speak only English at home and in public and insist that your children do likewise.

Insist eh? That's what's happening huh? I'm sure the author of this document has done extensive research into the home life of all the various folks who don't speak English and can back this claim up with hard data, right?

Demand classes on American culture in the Mexican school system.

Again with these mysterious DEMANDS.

Demand a local Mexican driver license. This will afford other legal rights and will go far to legitimize your unauthorized, illegal, presence in Mexico.

Don't need one, I'm authorized, they want my money, and my driver's license is good enough for them.

Insist that local Mexican law enforcement teach English to all of its officers.

Good luck!

No other country will allow foreigners these rights.

You're right indeed! How proud I am to live in America, the only country in the world whose constitutional government extends its rights to all human beings within, regardless of the status of their papers. What a wonderfully unique concept, and one of the fundamental principles that our nation was founded on that ALL men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights.

I'm quite proud to live in a country where white, black, brown, yellow, and every skin tone in between can be encountered. Where walking down the street I might hear proper English, or a southern drawl, or ebonics, or Spanish, Russian, Yiddish, Farsi or any number of other languages. I'm thrilled to be able to enjoy Colonel Sander's chicken, General Cho's chicken, or some tasty chicken fajitas, as well as Indian, Thai, Greek, Italian, cuisine, and possibly find a sampling of all of the above at an Irish Pub!

I'm thrilled to live in a country where someone is absolutely and unequivocally free to write the document I'm criticizing at the moment. I'm proud to live in a country that allows the KKK to have its annual 15 person demonstration on the statehouse, and allows me to join the 500 folks across the street in flipping the KKK off.

You're absolutely correct no other country will allow all of the above. Why does that make you frightened rather than proud?

It will not happen in Mexico or any other country in the world... except right here in the United States... land of the naive or at least too nice!

Some would have it become land of the xenophobe, home of the frightened.

Again, if a rational discussion about the real issues of illegal is what is desired, I'm all for it. In the meantime, please keep racist crap like this document the bleep out of my in-box.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't seen that email - but you missed the point. Oh, well.
I'm sure your response made you feel good, though.

12:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home